Friday 20 October 2017

A Haunting Experience - knowing the German History

This could be the best title I can give to this post for what I experienced is that the name HITLER is no less than a haunting for every single German around the world.

The best part of this programme is when I started feeling what the people in Deutschland (Germany) feel when they talk about their history. Travelling made me see the atrocities caused by the greatest dictator the World has known which is Hitler. While in India, for me Hitler was a name which comes to my mind when I think about Germany, a nickname for any other person who tries to be dominating or angry, but today I realise how painful the word 'HITLER' is for the people of Germany. He is no less than the worst nightmare whom everyone just wants to forget forever. Today, I know the fear people had in their hearts, today I know the pain of the people who lost their dear ones, today I know how people felt when they were separated all of a sudden one day and how they left everything in search of a land where they can be just ALIVE.

Every person living here has a story from the time of the Nazi rule, some were young and others heard it from their parents and grandparents. I heard a story where a man went for swimming and suddenly the orders for building the wall was passed. The man was able to meet his family again only after the wall was broke. This might sound funny and unrealistic but this was the bitter truth of the German history.

The eastern part of Germany shows you still the glimpse of what the war has caused. When I went to Berlin, walking past the Berlin Wall I could see places where there were pictures of people and voices of people sharing their stories (hearing their voice was truly horrific- I was able to feel the fear, I was able to feel the pain). I was so overwhelmed that my eyes were filled with tears. A ordinary looking wall separated a child from his family, a husband from his wife, a human from another human....

The next thing, I came across was the Anne Frank House. I had known her by name but didn't know much about her life and that is when I spend a whole day watching a biopic of Anne Frank which brought immense pain in my heart knowing her story. Through her story, for the first time I saw the brutality faced by the people especially the Jews in the concentration camps.


This was when I badly wanted to see the biggest concentration camp where Anne Frank took her last breath. A place where thousands and thousands of Jews were killed for the mere reason of being born as a Jew. The place as the title states was just like a haunting. As I walked through I could feel the pain, the fear, the madness etc. which they must have had when they were inside the camp. A strange smell was coming while moving around (maybe it was just a feeling but it was horrible).


There were pictures of the people who died all around and I felt like they are screaming loud and telling me - After all, what have we done? Why did this happen to us? Aren't we humans too?

The Jews were used as medical samples as they were injected with different type of medications. Even today many of the survivors who were part of these projects, suffer for various diseases which is also affecting the next generations.


This was the moment when I realised the true meaning of the Holocaust which I saw in Berlin in the memory of the people died in the concentration camps.


A nice quote was written in front of Hitler's wax statue in Madamme Tussad's which stated that - By taking the picture of this man, you would be disrespecting many innocent souls who died because of him. I feel that man should be forgotten and such men should never be born again.


No comments:

Post a Comment