Sunday 25 June 2017

A Vacation to Remember

Unlike my co- volunteer, my first day of work began with a vacation. When I reached my workplace with all my bags packed to begin a journey with a group I have never met, I was completely nervous just by thinking how to begin. My clients are intellectually disabled (you can say that a group with whom I have never worked). My only strength was the passion to work for them which made my fear turn into my confidence. Slowly when I started communicating with my clients, I realised that if you want to do something then language is never a barrier. I was cherished when my clients started talking to me in English. This small effort made by them boosted my level of confidence to work with them and enjoy with them to the core. The journey to Westernohe (our vacation destination) has helped me be with the clients 24*7 which ultimately helped me understand them better and create a bond with them which would have taken quite a time if I wouldn't have gone with them.

From having breakfast which also included feeding them, taking them around, enjoying with them since it was their vacation, playing, visiting the zoo, singing, making them go to bed etc.
There were times when the food for the staffs got over after feeding the clients. The best thing was that their needs were kept into consideration first and later on only ours; hence the level of importance given to the clients was really appreciable. We survived by ordering some food from outside.

In all this journey was one to be remembered and cherished.



No comments:

Post a Comment